Monday, February 09, 2009

Windows 7

Today I installed Windows 7 Beta on the Acer Laptop, in the past I have had issues with this laptop’s wireless adaptor, so have left it running XP.

After initial install, the WiFi was not recognised, but a wired connection back to the HomeHub, and several downloads later all the hardware (except the video card) is recognised. I have now managed to download the XP driver and persuaded Windows 7 to load it, but the Experience Score (See Below) performance really seems to be no better afterwards!

Once I removed the network cable, I managed to connect successfully to my Wireless network, with only minimal fuss… so another positive result for Windows 7.

The Windows Experience Score is a rather disappointing 1.0, but that is down to the VideoCard, and I don’t seem to be able to find a Vista/Windows 7 driver.  The CPU is 2.5, RAM is 3.1 and HDD is 1.9  Having said that, the PC itself does boot up quickly, and is generally running “better” under 7 than XP.

Alex is pleased, as he finally gets access to Mahjong and Purble Place ;-)

No comments: